I appreciate Google for a number of reasons: Gmail, Voice, Docs, Talk, Buzz, Picasa, and several other great free programs. And in times of desperation, their search engine will provide you with information that could take days to located at the local library. But today, I appreciate Google for a very different reason: Their Code of Conduct - “Don’t be Evil.”
Codes of conduct outline the responsibilities and proper practices set in place to govern organizations or individuals. Google chose to base all of their best practices on a very simple montra, “Don’t be evil.” Unlike Google and other organizations, we don’t have to come up with our own code of conduct. Solomon wrote one for us.
In the Book of Proverbs, Solomon records his wisdom in simple, practical, and applicable teachings to the nation of Israel. How do we set a positive example for children? How do we handle anger and emotions? How do we live a happy life? These aren’t simple questions, but God delivers truth through Solomon to outline our responsibilities and proper practices. God gave us so much more to work with than, “Don’t be evil.” He gave us guidance and instruction to help us reach our full potential.
Basic Guidance (abridged):
● Peaceful diplomacy and negotiations are strongly encouraged. - Proverbs 20:3
● Hard work is the best way to ensure a healthy future. - Proverbs 20:4, Proverbs 20:13
● Character and integrity will give you substance and strength. - Proverbs 20:17
● Steeling, lying, and cheating may make you wealthy, but they won’t keep you wealthy. - Proverbs 21:6
● Do not forget the basics. - Proverbs 21:16
● A good reputation is worth its weight in gold. - Proverbs 22:1
● Generosity always pays off in the end. - Proverbs 22:9
Take this chance to dig through some of the truths that God has provided. Proverbs is packed with gems to help us lead successful, happy lives. Yes, it is a code of conduct. But, it is a code created to support, aide, and guide us. Remember, “No human wisdom or understanding or plan can stand against the Lord” (Proverbs 21:30).